Today was Austin's big day of school, and he survived. I wondered all day what he was doing...if he would ask for help if he needed it, if he paid attention to his teacher, if he played nice with the other kids on the playground, if he made new friends, if he ate all his lunch....
I'm happy to report he did well.
And I survived.
This morning the sun was soft, and as we headed out the door the fog was starting to lift.
I dropped him off at school, got him into the gym/cafeteria for breakfast, then left. I had to. It was my first day back too, year #12. While driving my eyes welled up a little as I imagined him at school, carrying his little lunch bag...I know, cheesy. But hey, I'm allowed...right? But then I settled down. He attended 4K last year, and that went well. I am used to being away from him while I teach, but this was a little different. He was in an Elementary School now. New hallways, new teachers, new students. New routine.
Change is good.
He's excited for day two. It'll be nice to get a three day weekend to rest up and head back for a four day week. I'm betting he'll be tired!
"Children are the living messages we send to a time we will not see."
~Neil Postman, The Disappearance of Childhood (introduction), 1982

Post a Comment